11 Ways to Boost Your Immunity Today!

11 Ways to Boost Your Immunity Today!

Why are some people better at fighting infection than others? It’s largely due to our genes. Some of us inherit a set of immune system genes that are better at dealing with viruses. If you don’t have strong genes, there are ways to strengthen your immune system and reduce your chances of falling ill. Here’s what you can do:

1. Balance your gut microbiome

The vast majority of your immune system is housed in your gut, which contains both beneficial and harmful microorganisms. When there are more harmful than beneficial organisms, you could end up with a leaky gut where toxins leach through the lining of your gut and into your blood stream, causing systemic inflammation, disease, colds, and flu. Bolstering your gut with beneficial microorganisms is key to maintaining your gut health.

2. Eat a balanced diet or take supplements

Eating out and snacking on fast food and junk food are common among students, teenagers and young working adults. Incorporating food high in nutrients, antioxidants and vitamin C into your diet is the answer to good health. Make sure 80% of your food is alkaline-forming (vegetables, fruits and milk) while the other 20% is acid-forming. A good diet is vital to boost your immunity by repairing cells, protecting against oxidative damage, and helping the body recover from stress.

3. Eat less sugar

Microbes (a bacterium that causes disease) love sugar. Eating or drinking any kind of sugar has the potential to reduce your body’s defences by 75% or more for 4-6 hours.

4. Eat more garlic and mushrooms

Garlic contains compounds that have been shown to boost the disease-fighting response of some types of white blood cells in the body when they encounter viruses that cause the common cold or flu. According to one study, eating a cooked shiitake mushroom everyday can boost immunity over significant periods of time. Moreover, mushrooms have anti-inflammatory properties.

5. Boil some bone broth

Nutrient dense and easy to digest, bone broths are known to boost the immune system and help treat leaky gut syndrome. Boiling and simmering the bones and ligaments of beef, chicken, lamb, or fish releases healing compounds including collagen, proline, glycine, and glutamine into the soup.

6. Exercise

Exercise and other physical activities like dancing not only keeps you fit, trim and nimble but it also releases endorphins that affect the brain in positive ways and improve your immune functions.

7. Maintain a healthy weight

Being overweight makes you more susceptible to infections as your immune cells don’t adequately respond to viral and bacterial attacks. Being underweight is equally detrimental as your body may lack the important nutrients required for growth and repair.

8. Get sufficient sleep

You’re more likely to catch a cold or other infections when you’re not getting enough sleep. Sleep deprivation can lead to higher levels of stress hormones and inflammation in your body. Prolonged lack of sleep also disrupts your immune system so you’re more likely to catch illnesses.

9. Don’t smoke, don’t drink

Alcohol, tobacco, and drugs are substances that impair the immune system’s ability to function effectively. They also cause nutritional deficiency by inhibiting the liver’s ability to store important vitamins.

10. Develop healthy relationships

Research shows that people with close friendships and strong support systems tend to be healthier. This is because they are happier, have someone to share their problems with, and feel loved and cared for.

11. Manage your stress

Prolonged stress overloads the body with cortisol stress hormones that suppress the immune system and makes you more susceptible to sickness. To avoid catching every cold that goes around the office, manage stress through meditation, exercise, or relaxing activities.

Adding these little efforts in your daily routine can ensure you have a healthy immune system. These steps would reduce the stress on your body and provide the much-needed nutrients which are essential for your health.

Alternatively, you can boost your immune system with our Immune On-Guard today!

Share this article

Comments are closed.