Are We Blinded by Smart Gadgets?
According to David Allamby, a leading laser eye surgeon, the rates of short-sightedness have soared due to smartphone usage and could possibly increase by 50% over the next 10 years. Smartphones, computers, and watching television are putting children and young people at risk of myopia (permanent eyesight damage) progressing through until they are in their 40s, and may even lead to blindness in severe cases.
Smartphones, tablets, and computers may help us increase our knowledge through the gathering of information, research, educational games, as well as assisting in our jobs, but are they causing more harm instead to our younger generation?
Doctors warn that direct rays from the screens can damage the eyes and may even lead to blindness. One such case occurred in Taiwan where a 2-year-old toddler contracted myopia of 500 degrees due to excessive tablet usage! With tablets substituting textbooks in many schools, this looks set to be a new yet dangerous trend.
Protecting your eyesight
- Mobile phones are the most popular device among adults, especially for those under the age of 65. Some 85% of adults own mobile phones.
- Desktop computers are most popular with adults ages 35-65, with 69% of Gen X, 65% of Younger Boomers, and 64% of Older Boomers owning these devices.
- Millennials are the only generation that is more likely to own a laptop computer or a netbook than a desktop: 70% own a laptop, compared with 57% who own a desktop.
- Game consoles (that hook up to a television screen) are significantly more popular with young adults and older ages 18-46, with 63% owning these devices.
- Tablet computers, such as the iPad and Samsung Galaxy tablets, are most popular with adults age 65 and younger, with 4% of all adults own this device.
While it is not in you or your child’s best interests to stop using these smart gadgets, you can protect your eyes and theirs with proper nutrients.
Our human eyes have a built-in defense system against strong lights. Excessive exposure to blue light in modern gadgets and LCD lights from screens and televisions, however, can increase the degradation of the macula.
Vzio, food for your eyes
Nutrients such as lutein and zeaxanthin are your best options to protecting your eyesight. Our bodies are unable to produce these nutrients, which means we have to rely on supplementation.
Vzio’s exclusive formulation is a patented technology that contains a 5:1 perfect ratio of lutein and zeaxanthin from marigold extract, a naturally-sourced ingredient, to support overall eye health.
The exclusive formulation is designed with Tri-Action Eye Health Formulation that works with your eyes’ natural defense system to filter, protect, and rebuild from the inside out for healthy vision. Both lutein and zeaxanthin have the capacity to filter out harmful blue light, protect your eyes against damage from free radicals, increase macular pigment density, and rebuild damaged cells.